RSHUT PRO can be installed in one of the following type:
- Personal version - use this type of installation on standalone PC or on a computer that should not be managed over network.
- Network server - this type of installation should be installed on the PC that will control other computers in your network.
- Network client - this type of installation should be installed on workstations that would be managed via network from PC with RSHUT Server.
Note: To be able receive remote commands from RSHUT Server the network clients should be installed and running. Use 'Start with Windows' option with RSHUT Clients to ensure this.
To begin RSHUT Pro usage just enter computer name in the top edit box (skip this if personal version installed since local computer automatically supposed), select an action from the list of actions (e.g. 'power off') and press 'START' button. Nothing more!
RSHUT Pro will send and execute the action on the remote computer by RSHUT Client (the action will be executed on local computer if installed personal version).
So it is really simple. Let's learn what else we can do.
Selecting computersRSHUT Pro can communicate many computers simultaneously (trial version has limitation to 5 PC).
Enter PC names comma separated in 'Computers' edit box on main RSHUT window. Names may be in UNC format (like '\\Comp1') or without backslashes ('Comp1'). Also IP address can be used instead (also Internet DNS name like 'my.host.com') or IP-range to specify many computers. The special name 'My computer' is used to name local PC.
RSHUT Pro remembers last 15 strings you enter so you can quickly call any from the drop-down list. To browse computers in your network click on the button on the right of the edit box and select a computer to add in list.
ActionsAn action to be executed may be selected from drop-down 'Actions' list. The following actions are available:
- 'Shut down', 'Reboot', 'Power Off' - the actions are used to shutdown computer.
- 'Suspend', 'Hibernate' - these actions should be supported by your hardware and Windows to be worked correctly. Hibernation action is available since Windows 2000/XP. If not supported 'Power off' action can be executed instead (see client options).
- 'Log Off', 'Lock' - log off current user or lock PC ('Lock' is not available in Windows 9x/ME, screen saver will be launched instead).
- 'Wake-On-LAN' - Wake up remote computer (more details).
- 'Eject CD-ROM', 'Close CD-ROM', 'Start Screen saver', 'On/Off monitor', 'Low monitor power' - actions for CD/DVD-ROM (or CD/DVD-ROMs when more than one installed) and monitor power management.
- 'Execute' - execute a command (same as can be executeed from 'Run..' dialog in Windows). The command should be entered in 'Message/command' box on the main RSHUT Pro window.
Any action may be provided with an optional text message (except 'Execute' action where message contain a command to execute). The message will be prompted to user before the action will be executed (if non-zero delay specified for the action execution).
Processes terminationWhen computer is turning off it is necessary to close any running applications and services. It can be done in different ways with RSHUT Pro:
- 'Close applications' - default option.
Each application recieve request to finish task and should exit.
However any application can deny it request or pop-up with a dialog like "Save as..".
You can try to avoid such behaviour with
keys press emulation.
- 'Force processes to terminate' -
unlike previous option system does not send 'finish task' message to any process.
This can cause running applications to lose unsaved data.
- 'Force (if don't respond)' -
force processes to terminate if they do not respond
to the 'finish' message. Works in Windows 2000/XP only.
- 'Terminate processes' -
force to terminate processes.
It is unsafe to terminate any processes in system
since it can hung up PC. RSHUT Pro has default list of processes that
should not be terminated to correctly shutdown Windows but you can
modify it depend on your system configuration.
Execution timeout & scheduleAn action execution can be delayed with a timeout. Enter required delay value in 'Action timeout' field on the main window. You can switch to display timeout in 'seconds' or 'minute:seconds' format. To start action execution immediately without any delay set timeout to zero.
To schedule an action execution for a certain time enter it in "hour:minute" field and mark 'Do the action in:' checkbox (RSHUT's icon in system tray will be denoted by blinking dot to indicate the schedule). The option 'Onetime action' can be selected if the action should be execited once.
It can be scheduled more than one action, read more about on Using scheduler page.
Start and Stop commands, Quick startTo start action execution press 'START' button. RSHUT Pro will send selected action to all PCs on the list at the same time. (Note that icon indicates process in the system tray while sending). Upon starting users will be informed via small window containing countdown timeout, the action being executed, computer and username initiated the action (see Action execution).
The action yet not started actually due to timeout counter may be cancelled with 'CANCEL' button.
Alternatively you can use Quick start for fast start or stop of an action. To use this check 'quick start', enter a new timeout in the box that appears and select an action. After the execution 'quick start' will be autimatically unchecked and action will restore to previous state.
Action execution reportAs soon as RSHUT Pro finished action execution it prompts balloon tip near RSHUT's icon in system tray with results. To disable this check 'Don't display report messages' option.
Starting RSHUT Pro on system startupThe option 'Start with Windows' enables RSHUT to run automatically when Windows starts. In Windows 2000/XP and higher RSHUT PRO installs as a system service. It is highly recommended to enable this option with RSHUT PRO clients in order to work with them over network.
MenuMinimizing RSHUT PRO hides it to system tray ( icon at the bottom of screen). Right mouse click it to popup menu with the commands or left click to display RSHUT PRO. The same popup menu is available with 'Menu' button.
The button 'Log' displays dialog that keep actions execution history. Message logging can be turned off with unchecked 'Enable log messages' option.